Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Mark is offline

Default New Light bulb on it's way.

The is still the very real problem that the "inventor" has yet to
integrate a thermal imaging device, together with LED technology that will
generate significant heat on the same substrate, integrate this with a
microprocessor (why not an ASIC?), develop the software, test and get to
market, for what is a very limited market. Draw in the development costs
of all that, and the true market and life of the item, and tell me that
it's commercially viable at £20 a pop?

I emailed the 'inventor' to query why not an ASIC and got back this reply:

Quote:
why don't I use a ASIC, I use a microcontroller so new software can be
downloaded to upgrade the lightbulb, into it's flash memory. ASICs are fixed
for life.

Also PIRs cannot measure precise temperature at a distance, thermopiles can
measure to an accuracy of 1 C or less

mark