Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PC problem

In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I've got a home assembled PC based around an Asus motherboard. Which
shuts off at random. Not a controlled shut down - it just dies.
Thinking PS problems I've replaced it. Same thing. Sometimes it will
boot up ok and continue for as long as I want. Sometimes it switches
off half way through the boot sequence - but never at the same time.

As what?

It doesn't switch off at a particular point in the boot sequence which
might point at a software thing.

Any guesses? I've got AVG free installed and that shuts it down after
doing its tests. That sequence always works ok.

How old is the mobo?

Just over a year. The whole thing.

Sounds like the bulging capacitor problem that
affected many pc's about 5 or 6 years ago, mine included, which reboots
itself for no apparent reason every now and then. If the mobo is newer
than that then it could just be an intermittent bad connection or dry
joint somewhere which will probably be impossible to track down.

Ok.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.