Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Four Plumwood Turnings

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 22:07:20 -0800, charlieb wrote:

I'm still thinking in terms of "not wasting wood" so still
turning for the largest diameter/biggest surface area
as the highest priority.

Perhaps if I'd removed more wood on the outside more
of the heart wood would show on more of the outside
surface. And even when the wood is free - and delivered
- my newbie Bigger Is Better Than Really Nice blind spot
is hard to overcome.

charlie b

It took me years to get over that, Charlie..

I look at my early stuff, especially bowls, and they're mostly rounded bottom
with straight sides..
Why? Because I was maximizing the wood.. I think we all tend to do that..

Just like you can make an omelet without breaking eggs, I've found that, at
least for me, you can't get a smooth curve or "apple shape" without taking a lot
more wood off than you leave on the bowl..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing