Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace?

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 03:17:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Paul M. Eldridge" wrote in message

As I recall, Bunker C is also considerably heavier than regular diesel
fuel. Even at only modest temperatures, it has to be preheated to
get it to flow.

I've never laid eyes on the stuff myself, but its been described to me
as the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel.... with a viscosity
not unlike that of asphalt. ;-)

Cheers,
Paul

We used to burn it where I worked years ago. It had to be delivered hot
(IIRC, about 125) in order to drain from the tanker truck. We'd start the
boilers on #2 oil and a steam probe from the boiler into an intermediate
tank heated it to a pumpable oil. Another pump circulated that back into
the 10,000 gallon #6 tank to keep it warm. More difficult to burn, it was
much cheaper to buy and has a higher Btu per gallon compared to #2.

Hi Edwin,

The major hospitals and universities in downtown Halifax burn Bunker
C, as does the Tuft's Cove GS located on the Dartmouth side of the
harbour. Our natural gas distributor is currently extending its
pipeline into the downtown core to serve these loads, so thankfully, a
little less of this crap will make its way up the stack.
Unfortunately, the situation with Nova Scotia Power wouldn't likely
change anytime soon, as the utility prefers to sell off its allotment
of natural gas to New England and thereby pocket the difference in the
cost of these two fuels (personally, I wouldn't mind paying a little
more for cleaner air, but obviously opinions differ).

Cheers,
Paul