Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

"Dave Bugg" wrote in
news:O18qj.9992$EK3.5873@trndny04:

Joseph Meehan wrote:
The referenced web page is ... well lets say I don't think it is
exactly non-biased.

A quick look at their first static:

"the rate of Defensive Gun Uses can be projected nationwide to
approximately 2.5 million per year"

If you do the numbers quickly, you will find that means that about
1 of every 120 people have been involved in using a gun in a
defensive manor each year.

To clarify for us what you think is meant by DGU, tell us what you
think 'using a gun in a defensive manor (manner)' means.

Carry that a little further, I am 60
years old, that would mean I should have had a bout a 50% chance of
being in one of those situations. ... My brother is older so while
it is higher (like about 75%) that one of us would have been involved
in such a situation. It is not a question I have asked many people
but it would seem that I would have likely heard of at least one
personal friend or family member who was one of the people involved
and I know of none.

And yet you say below that you were involved in such a situation.

I have no proof but it sure looks like they are stretching same
facts really really hard to get the results they want. Now if you
want to believe them, it is easy to do, if you don't want to believe
them, it is even easier, but for me, I would not consider their
numbers as reliable.

Yet by your own example below, you seem to contradict your own
suppostions.

I have had a gun used in an aggressive manor, used against me only
once. I was not armed and it ended nicely.

Do you believe that DGU (defensive gun use) only applies to those
faced by aggressors who display a gun?

Perhaps Meehan is one of those who if it hasn't happened to them,then it
doesn't happen to anyone else?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik