Posted to sci.electronics.repair
wc3p wc3p is offline

Default Fluke 79 acting up

On Feb 3, 2:15*pm, "James Sweet" wrote:
This thing has performed flawlessly for many years, but when I turned it on
today something was not right. The ohms range flickers random readings, with
no probes plugged in I get around 230K on the display, or 2.22M, depending
on the range, which would imply that the problem is ahead of the scaling
circuit. When I switch to the low ohms range, the reading starts around 240
ohms and then drops to -0.00 over a period of 10 seconds or so, frequency
reading works, but AC volts reads 70mV when plugged into a 120V outlet.
Something strange is going on! I realized that I don't currently have a
backup meter, I suppose I could use this as an excuse to buy a true RMS
Fluke, I don't think I can bring myself to buy a cheapie, except perhaps as
a backup. Anyone run into this?

The rotary switches get dirty over time. Take the meter apart and
clean the rotary switch with contact cleaner. If there's carbon
strips on the back side clean them with an alcohol soaked Q tip.
Also, clean the button grids on the circuit board with alcohol.

good luck

Bob
WC3P