Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Receiver has a hum - Harmon Kardon 230A

Arfa Daily wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

One point hasn't been brought up.

If one or more of the caps are bad, then it's likely you'll hear hum even
with the volume control all the way down. If there is no hum with the
control the way down, the problem is probably elsewhere.

Regardless, it wouldn't be a bad idea to simply replace all the PS
electrolytics in a 35-year old receiver.

I'm not a great advocate of the 'shotgun' approach with this type of
equipment. A lot of times, a person who has little electronics skill, as
this poster told us he didn't, can cause himself more trouble by just
replacing items 'willy-nilly'. It's very easy to make a wiring or polarity
mistake. And once he has, he will be in even worse trouble than before, as
he now has both the original problem, and the one he's caused himself ...

I did actually say in my first post in this thread, that hum as a result of
a power supply problem - for example a bad cap - will not usually be
affected by the volume control, so by implication, will still be there with
the volume at minimum.

Arfa

AFAICT, he never said there was no hum with the volume down -- just that
it varied with the volume control.