Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88 woodworker88 is offline

Default Morse taper cutting any advice???

On Feb 5, 4:26 pm, wrote:
I am trying to cut a morse taper shaft 3MT and 2MT and have setup the
topslide to what I thought was the correct angle, but he taper seems
slightly off. Is there any one who has turned a morse taper, that can
offer advice??. I know that morse taper reamers are available for
making or tidying up MT sockets, is there anything for finish cutting
MT shafts????.

Cheers

Take a MT arbor or shank (a clean, accurate one, like a hardened
center or a sleeve or drill chuck shank) and put it between centers.
Put it between centers and put an indicator in the toolpost. Run it
back and forth, adjusting the topslide angle until it is 0-0 all the
way along. You can't get it accurate enough with the markings on the
topslide alone. This is the way to cut any taper extremely accurately
with the topslide or a taper attachment. You can also get MT plug
gages for testing the finished shaft, but you shouldn't need it with
this method.

Depending on what you are making, you can also get MT blank arbors
with a precision hardened and ground shank and a soft arbor section at
the end that can be machined to your specifications. Many people use
them for making special tools and fixtures.