Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default Follow rest

On Feb 5, 7:23 pm, "BillM" wrote:
"oldjag" wrote in

I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long
4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone
have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an
Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the
lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point.
I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter
with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible
scenario?

Just another possibility----

A 3 ft chunk of 17mm oil hardening drill rod is
less that $20. If it would work, that
eliminates the turning part of the job and maybe
even the grinding part, depending
on what you need.

This is a swing arm shaft, and the 4140 provides a little more of a
safety factor than the drill rod. The shaft will be threaded on each
end after cutting it to size. So far I have not been able to locate
4140 shafting or ground stock in metric diameters. If all else fails,
I may try to find somewhere to have it centerless ground to size.