Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Morse taper cutting any advice???

"ED" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:26:34 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I am trying to cut a morse taper shaft 3MT and 2MT and have setup the
topslide to what I thought was the correct angle, but he taper seems
slightly off. Is there any one who has turned a morse taper, that can
offer advice??. I know that morse taper reamers are available for
making or tidying up MT sockets, is there anything for finish cutting
MT shafts????.

Cheers

Not too difficult to do using the crosslide.

Mount between centers a sample
of whatever taper your'e copying. Next dial crosslide to sample
using DI on toolpost. Remove sample and chuck up bar stock to be
turned. Turn to spec. ED

Keeping the indicator and the cutting tool exactly at center height is
important in duplicating a taper. Exact center height for the tool is also
important when using the compound or tailstock offset. I only understood
exactly why when I imagined setting the tool height at the bottom of the
shaft and trying to cut an accurate taper!!

Don Young