Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Air brad nailer - instructions?

Calab wrote:

A while ago I picked up a cheap, no-name pneumatic brad nailer. The
instructions that came with it are pretty much useless. It's worked well the
few times I've used it.

I'm going to be installing some molding with this gun and don't want to
split or drive through the material, so I'm trying to locate some
instructions on how best to use this gun.

It will drive 18 gauge nails or staples, 3/4" to 2" (?) in length. On the
back of the head there appears to be an adjustment knob that turns easily
about 90 degrees, but doesn't appear to do anything.

So, I'd like to know...

- What is the optimum air pressure to supply the nailer with?

Probably 90-100 PSI.

- Should that top actually adjust anything?

It is most likely an adjustable vent. When you fire the gun, does air
come out of it? If so, then it is adjustable so that you can turn it
away from you when using it at different angles.

- Any links on how to use a brad nailer properly?

Press it to the wood and fire. Hold it against the wood firmly and
learn exactly where the brad comes out so that you can center the nail
where you want it to go.

Don't shoot yourself.

Don't shoot anyone else.

Don't shoot pets or other animals, unless they are attacking you.

Check often to make sure you still have brads in the gun. It is a pain
to find out that that piece of trim was nailed with nothing but air.

Oil the gun daily (a few drops in the air inlet).

Keep it clean and clean it regularly.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.