Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan Jordan is offline

Default Morse taper cutting any advice???

wrote:
I am trying to cut a morse taper shaft 3MT and 2MT and have setup the
topslide to what I thought was the correct angle, but he taper seems
slightly off.

Well, I've only done it once, but it worked.
A socket, or quill or whatever has the MT size you want can be used as a
gauge. Mark some lines with a marker pen along the piece you've turned,
then fit the socket and twist. Note where the marks rub off, adjust and
take more cuts until it's right.
Might be easier to do between centres, tailstock offset, so you can use
auto-feed.

Jordan