Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Follow rest

wrote:
oldjag wrote:
I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long 4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point. I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible scenario?
Here's one:

http://www.followerrest.com/followersite_001.htm

Looks interesting, but the page is several years old & several of the
photo links are messed up. I sent an email to see if he still exists.

There is a better commercial version of similar design, all steel and
more compact. I just couldn't locate it yesterday. I have seen it it in
more than one of the big tool vendors catalogs.

For the curious: I got an email back from the guy. He said he stopped
making them, but if he could find the parts, an AXA sized one would be
$150.

Doug White