wallster

Default can't pass up usefull trash

SteveB wrote in message
news:ToLHc.29648$Ch.21413@okepread04...

"Lou" wrote in message
news:jHIHc.50672$a24.21366@attbi_s03...
I'm with Roy on this one.

They like to charge 25 cents for a bolt, 75 cents for a washer, $1.50

for
half dozen nuts, etc. I've got BOXES of exotic hardware for free from
disassembling things - and I use it constantly to build new stuff.

I have a five gallon bucket full of nuts, bolts, screws, widgets that I

need
to sort one of these days, and put them into the umpteen thousand little
clear plastic drawers I have for them. Many is the time those things have
saved me a trip to the hardware store, and a couple of bucks. Where I

work,
I can always pick up hardware that is left for the garbage crew. And I

do.

We did an indoor self-storage business convention. They made several
mockups of storage units, then walked away from them rather than

disassemble
and ship back. I got two full bags of 1,000 5/16" head, self tappers with
neoprene sealers used to fasten sheet roofing, and 1,000 "stitcher" self
tappers designed to join two pieces of sheeting together. I used to have

buy these when I had a welding business that serviced carports. That was
1994, and back then, they were seven cents apiece. $140 laying on the
floor........... Plus lots and lots of lags, bolts, nuts, corner

brackets,
gate handles, hasps ............. I get a lot of great stuff from the
conventions.

Steve

i know a guy who has worked on cars and trucks for years. If he has an old
car that's gonna go to scrap, he takes as many nuts, bolts, clips or
fasteners he can find off. It's real nice having jars full of these things,
hardware can add up. Now, whenever i see something like a bike or equipment
laying out for trash, i do the same thing, having hardware on hand is also a
huge time saver.
I like watching guys garbage pick my garbage picked stuff... they look so di
ssapointed when all the usefull craps gone! g

walt