Larry Jaques

Default can't pass up usefull trash

On 10 Jul 2004 07:21:48 -0700, jim rozen
calmly ranted:

In article , Gunner says...

Sigh..in my part of California..such a "put n take" area is unheard
of. The lawyers have won.

Put-n-take area? We have municiple trash pickup once a month.
So that stuff all goes out on the curb. Great night to walk
through the neighborhood.

Er... NeighborhoodS.

You meant "drive the large-bed truck" vs. walk, right?

When I was growing up on LRAFB, Air Force families would be
moving every year. I'd go out on trash day and find entire
bedroom sets by the curb sometimes. I took large brass objects
(candelabras, candlesticks, bells, gongs, serving trays from
all over the Middle East and Asia) to my mother since the AF
would put weight limits on what the families could move.

The little china teaset for dolls was a treasure I took to my
sister, but it almost didn't get to her. The teapot had a nice
angry yellow jacket in it who came out after getting put in
my pocket. He stung me 4 times under the arm and 5 times on
the inner arm. When I got home, Mom rushed me to the hospital
in case I was allergic to yellow jackets and they packed me in
an ICE BATH and shot me full of adrenaline. I wasn't allergic
and if I hadn't been 8 years old, I would have kicked the
absolute sh*t out of those airmen who held me in that ice bath.
That hurt more than anything I have experienced in this lifetime,
and I have had back trouble since then which didn't compare.

What I don't recall seeing at curbside were any (decent) tools
or machines. I guess they gave them to their buddies instead.

The dump personnel here in Oregon won't let you salvage, either,
but the old dump in SoCal would if you didn't get in the way of
their machines, and only the stuff on top of the pile, before it
was shoved into the trench. I picked up half a dozen bicycles,
free weights, metal pipe, washers, dryers, and other appliances
there, many of which were in proper working order.

It's a crime how much good, usable stuff is tossed into the dumps
instead of being left on the curb to be recycled. People pay good
money to throw usable things away, too. Go figure!

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --