Posted to alt.home.repair
Stacia Stacia is offline

Default crunchy stuff on ceiling

"SteveB" writes:
"Dottie" wrote

Most popcorn ceilings do not contain asbestos ... popcorn ceilings
have the large size pebbles. The old asbestos type was much smaller.

I would say less than one in a thousand poses an asbestos threat. As long
as you wet it, the fibers can't float around like dust, which is the
hazardous condition.

This is a house built in 1994 or so, and while it's proven to be of
cheap and, er, "interesting" construction, I'm reasonably sure the popcorn
on the ceiling doesn't have asbestos.
Why it's in the bathroom above the shower, I have no idea. If getting
popcorn wet is the way to take it off, why would anyone put a popcorn
ceiling in a place it's *sure* to get wet? I'd love to have a word with
the guys who built this house.

Stacia