Posted to alt.home.repair
Stacia Stacia is offline

Default crunchy stuff on ceiling

writes:

If you decide to remove the popcorn ceiling, I would repaint with a
mildew resistant paint or at least add a mildew retardant to the
paint.

This might end up being more work than you think. One advantage of the
popcorn ceiling is that the sheetrock joints don't have to be perfect
since the popcorn will hide minor imperfections. Paint on the other
hand tends to highlight bad taping jobs. You might have to do so touch
up work to smooth out the joints.. No big deal.

Oh, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. We're definitely
hoping to get some mildew-resistant paint because mildew occasionally
builds up on the popcorn. The steam from the shower seems to affect the
popcorn, too, which is what's causing the popcorn to crack and come off.
What a pain the bathroom has been. The previous owners did cosmetic
stuff to cover problems and we're having to take it all down and repair
the actual problems -- mainly mildew stains -- and it bites.

Stacia