Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default bare wire and wire nut question

According to S. Barker :
Ok, so i suppose you've seen an inspector that actually opens an outlet or
junction box??? I think not.

I most certainly have. In fact, in my last inspection, the inspector
noticed that the electrician forget to grease the aluminum subpanel feed
connection in the subpanel (which required pulling two panel covers off
to find out).

He was about to slice apart the tape and U-bolt splice at the other
end's junction box before I told him that I was standing talking to the
electrician when he greased it, "I didn't see him do the other end,
but yes, I guarantee you he did grease _this_ end, and I'd rather
not have to redo _these_ connections.".

And besides, the tape is perfectly acceptable procedure.

Of course it's acceptable procedure. But if the inspector has
reason to believe that you've been cutting corners elsewhere,
the tape may be a red flag, and he may open up at least one
to see if you're hiding. If he finds a sloppy connection, he may
well start opening more.

At that, the wording I was using is partially paraphrased from P.S. Knight's
books on electrical wiring (which are the DIYers bible for wiring
in Canada. He also writes/publishes the primary training material for
Canadian electricians) on _exactly_ this topic (taping wirenut
connections).

See the electrical wiring FAQ on the same topic.

Of course, some inspectors don't do much. Others take things rather
more seriously. And apparently some don't do much if you install a
bottle of scotch in the main panel. I liked having this inspector out -
not only did he find what might have caused serious problems later on,
he also gave me some valuable advice for the wiring of the garage
itself, and saved me a lots of work and money when it was done.
--
Chris Lewis,