Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Max Bulb Wattage in Enclosed Fixture?

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 02:18:45 -0800 (PST), John Ross
wrote:

Hi John,

Most enclosed fixtures are rated for a maximum of 60-watts and in
absence of any label, I would avoid using a 100-watt lamp. If you
require the light output of a 100-watt lamp and would prefer to stick
to an incandescent source, I might recommend one of the new
high-efficiency incandescents from Philips. The one that provides the
same amount of light as a standard 100-watt incandescent uses just
70-watts; granted, a little more than the 60-watt maximum, but pretty
darn close. In addition to the 30-per cent reduction in energy use
(and corresponding reduction in heat), these lamps last up to four
times longer than a regular A19 incandescent. They're available at
Home Depot.

For more information, see:
http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...lay.php?mode=1

Thanks, I never heard of those. Might be useful for other locations.
Have you used these? If so, can you tell the difference in the light
from the regular ones?

Hi John,

I haven't personally and likely won't because the fixtures in my home
that use regular A19 lamps have all been converted to CFLs, or where
the lamp is exposed, decorative (flame style) halogens.

To the naked eye, light quality should be pretty much
indistinguishable from a standard soft white incandescent -- if
anything, its slightly higher colour temperature should improve
overall light quality. These lamps utilize an internal halogen
capsule, so the tungsten filament runs a little hotter (2,900K) and,
as a result, the light would appear slightly "whiter" than a standard
soft white incandescent which generally fall closer to 2,700K.

For more information on these lamps, see:

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/.../10-30-07a.php

and

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...pdf/p-5901.pdf

Cheers,