Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
robb robb is offline

Default what or how to check CRT HV anode wire repair ?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"robb" wrote in message
I changed the CRT HV anode wire on TEK o'scope by ...
- removing the silicon glued cover/cap
- desolder old anode lead
- clean silicon
- solder new anode lead
- re-silicon the lead cover/cap

An AM radio nearby can give a good indication of corona

discharge. You get a
sort of a 'whining' noise. Breathing on the area with a good

"HAAAAA" will
also show up any tendency for corona, which takes place more

readily when
the air surrounding any potential discharge site, is made

moist.

Hello Arfa,

Thanks for reply.

Breathing with a HAAAAA ? is this going to be one of those the
HAAHAHA, the jokes on me kinda of suggestions ? where my ears
buzz, i see flashes of light and my eyebrow twitches for the rest
of the day.

Sounds suspiciously like one of those suggestions the Senior
engineers give to the new rookies to amuse themselves and the
other senior engineers.

With the AM
radio on, wave a screwdriver around the area. Again, this will

provoke any
potential sites, and you should hear it. Eveness of the outer

'dag coating
should not be of any consequence.

Arfa

as long as it does not provoke a zap on me then i will give it a
try.

Thanks for the help Arfa,
robb