Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Fixing broken bandsaw blades

I'd say that grinding at an angle is recommended. I think it's called a
"scarf". Your alignment jig needs only to hold the two ends together
"out in space" so the heat won't sink away too fast. I use a silver
solder that melts at about 1200° F.
I align the ends, overlapping at the scarf by, maybe 1/4" and sprung
slightly so the ends lie firmly together. I cut about 1/4" of silver
solder off the roll and smash it flat, so it's about 1/32" thick. Do
this on a clean plate so you don't add any crud to the solder. Add some
brazing flux between the ends (too much is better than too little), and
poke the piece of solder in between the ends. Heat gently with a
torch. Unless your blades are much wider than 1/2", a propane torch
will do. Just as color comes (in a dimly lit area), solder melts and
is squeezed as joint pulls together, back torch off and let cool.

Pete Stanaitis

steamer wrote:
--Well I bit the bullet and made an alignment jig but I'm not sure
I've got all the fiddly bits set up right. Has anyone got photos of one
they've made up somewhere?
What prompted the build: a pal came by with a blade that was broken;
I ground the ends and butted them together on a corner of the welding table
(awkward), then whipped out the tig torch and voila! Poof! No blade! So I
needed a nice brazing jig. I guess grinding at an angle is not recommended
either, yes?