Peter T. Keillor III

Default can't pass up usefull trash

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:41:33 -0400, "wallster"
wrote:

sniipedJeff Wisnia wrote in message
news5idnfDe8ITYZHPdRVn-
Some of the town "refuse collection stations" (That's PC newspeak for
"dump")around here have "put 'n take" tables.

It's amazing the kind of good stuff lots of technologically deprived
folks leave there (particularly in upper middle class towns.) Much of it

snip
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I think the major reason people chuck stuff is that we take for granted that
everyone can fix stuff. My brother is helpless when it comes to any type of
repair.

snip
I picked up a lawnmower yesterday that was blowing oil. Turns out it had too
much oil in it so it was spewing oil out of the exhaust valve. I cleaned her
up, changed the oil and the plug, now it runs like a top.
That's a lawnmower, try to find anyone willing to try to fix half the stuff
out there. It may be shot... or it may be a fuse or loose wire.

walt

On heavy trash day, I set stuff out we don't want or need, expecting
it to get picked up. The last time, I set out about 10-15 huge plant
pots and a big bell (~8" dia.) left by the last homeowners, some worn
out snow shovels with the edges gone, and one of those tv-vcr's my
oldest son nearly wore out (he's 22, moderately mentally retarded, and
likes to push buttons and watch videos, and about my favorite person
on the planet). The vcr part was giving him trouble and most of the
buttons didn't work. All of that stuff was gone within hours. I like
seeing it get picked up by folks that will use it, instead of it going
to the landfill, and I like the extra room in my garage.

I'd don't accumulate much "stock". One reason is I live in town, and
don't have the room. A bigger reason is I expect to load up and move
back to Texas in 5 or 10 years when we retire.

Pete Keillor