Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default Max Bulb Wattage in Enclosed Fixture?

RBM wrote:
"John Ross" wrote in message
In my home bathroom, one of the light fixtures is on the ceiling. One
incandescent bulb screws in and hangs straight down and the cover is a
glass "bowl" that completely encases the bulb and fixture.

I have never seen a wattage rating on any of the bult in fixtures in
this house. I had been using a 100 watt bulb in this for the last few
years. However, I seem to recall someone posted in here that if the
bulb was completely encased, then it should never be more than a 60
watt bulb. Is that true?

It's not true at all. Depending upon the size of the fixture, a single lamp
fixture will typically take from 60 to 100 watt lamps. I would be more
concerned with the insulation type of the house wiring than the wiring of
the fixture. If your wiring is old rubber covered cloth, I would use the
lowest wattage, preferably CF lamp, you can get. If it's 90 degree
thermoplastic, I'd use whatever max is recommended by the manufacturer. Here
is an example of a typical cheapo 100 watt fixtu
http://www.lightingdirect.com/index....8/finish/White

This house was built in 1960. It has the cloth covered Romex with no
ground wire. I don't think there is "rubber" covering it (I think the
cover is an off white color if that helps)? Would the type you are
referring to have been in this time frame?

--
John