Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Pulling fine wire through sleeving query

jakdedert wrote:
N Cook wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:

Can anyone think of a source for thin wall ferrule / coupler to
solder
or
probably glue over a butt join between mouse and 2 Cu wires, of these
sorts
of dimensions.
Try a fishing tackle shop, ask to look at trace crimps.

Ron(UK)
Ta, the nearest to a solution so far. 0.8mm internal bore seems the
smallest they go to. Grinding a lead-in chamfer on the leading edge ,

and
feeding through a tiny funnel of talcum powder may just work.

Now what to do with the other 49 little crimps. They seem to be brass

with
a coating of dull varnish to dull them down for fishing purposes.
We use them in the theatre, they are by far the best way of joining or
putting loops in fine fishing line.

Ron(UK)

For swinging/flying actors around the stage - Peter Pan fashion ?

Not a good idea to put *any* splices in those cables. Better to simply
replace the whole lot if too short for some reason. I was helping rig a
lighting truss to which someone had affixed a 3'x12' wood and plastic
sign. The initial installation left the sign too high, so the
decorators simply spliced in additional cable using ferrules and a
swaging tool. I had six folks on the ground holding the free ends of
blocks & falls (more commonly known as block and tackle), while my head
rigger was above, securing each in turn.

As he did each one, there was inevitably a small amount of slack let
out...nothing serious, but each connection bumped down a little less
than an inch when the slack was let off and secured.

On the second point, when the 'bump' happened, one ferrule failed. That
end of the sign came swinging down in an arc with an audible WHOOSH!
right past everybody's face! To their credit, nobody let go of their
respective ropes, but the free end of the sign missed one poor lady by
less than a couple feet.

Once it had swung past vertical, the other end let go as well, and the
whole thing crashed at our feet and shattered. No injuries, but some
wardrobe changes were in order once the truss was let back down.

No splices, please....

Indeed. There are very strict and specific regulations for the flying
of any structure in theatreland. Fishing line is only used for very
lightweight materials such as scrims and holding back swags etc.
Anything of any substance must be flown using steel rope and the proper
fittings applied in a precise manner. Anything flown above 2 metres must
have at least one secondary safety bond to something that isn't going to
come down.

Ron(UK)