Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Pulling fine wire through sleeving query

N Cook wrote:
Mr. Land wrote in message
On Feb 4, 10:23 am, "N Cook" wrote:
Mr. Land wrote in message

On Feb 4, 4:51 am, "N Cook" wrote:

I need to pull some doubled up , 0.22mm (9 mil, SWG 34, AWG 32) Cu wire
through small bore sleeving. Some 0.3mm nichrome heater element wire
stretched out until straight, worked rigidly enough, with "peristaltic"
movement as a mouse (does this term translate across the pond ?) . I was
probably lucky that "soldering" the copper to the ni-chrome made a
sufficient strength overlap join to pull 1 wire through but I doubt it

would
work pulling 2 through, soldered or glued, because of added thickness of
overlap bulge, when I have to repeat the process for the double one.
Can anyone think of a source for thin wall ferrule / coupler to solder

or
probably glue over a butt join between mouse and 2 Cu wires, of these

sorts
of dimensions.
Butchered mini-din socket pins are a bit too big diameter, but anything

like
that ?

Would "soaping" the wire help, or are you already doing that?

I tend to use talc for that purpose.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list

onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

I meant something like this:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide02-03.html

Apologies if you already realized this was what I was suggesting.

I suspect that is for high clearance pulls. I've previously found that
constricted pulls should be done dry, eg silicone oil hinders , so I'm
assuming this product would as well. Presumably due to distributed surface
tension of a constricted long run.

I assume that mouse is a recognised term both sides of the Atlantic for the
stidd wire threaders for existing conduit runs.
Is it a myth that it derives from tying a thread to a mouse tail , let it
run through conduit etc, and then pull through cables etc tied to the
thread.?

Cable companies regularly use ferrets to pull a cord through trunking,
I`ve seen it done.

Ron