Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

On 2008-02-04, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

Does anyone know what happened to the Edsyn "Loner" iron? That
used to be my favorite, but I don't see them offered any more. Complete
thermal control of the tip in a very lightweight and skinny handle.

I haven't seen any since 2001.

Ouch! Is the company still around? Do they still repair them?
Mine have a significant failure of the strain relief, plus some
fracturing of the clear handle.

We had about 200 of them at
Microdyne. I was 'loaned' to the ME office a couple times to test and
calibrate every iron in the facility. Did you ever use the .015" tip,
with the collet for surface mount work?

Nope! I did use the smallest which I had with some solid copper
wire from phone cable wrapped a couple of turns around the tip and then
directed out and tinned for the little surface mount work I did -- under
a stereo zoom microscope.

They were more trouble than
they were worth. the .015" Ersin rework solder was great.

I've still got got some of that -- and love it.

When all the
tips were gone, I went back to the smallest standard tip from Plato, and
used a corner to apply heat.

O.K.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564