Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Max Bulb Wattage in Enclosed Fixture?

John Ross wrote:
In my home bathroom, one of the light fixtures is on the ceiling. One
incandescent bulb screws in and hangs straight down and the cover is a
glass "bowl" that completely encases the bulb and fixture.

I have never seen a wattage rating on any of the bult in fixtures in
this house. I had been using a 100 watt bulb in this for the last few
years. However, I seem to recall someone posted in here that if the
bulb was completely encased, then it should never be more than a 60
watt bulb. Is that true?

I assume this is a heat issue? But is it more of a bulb life issue or
a safety issue?

I have replaced the three 60-watt bulbs in my kitchen fixture of the
same type with three 23-watt compact flourescents. You need to wear
sunglasses in there now. It's great.

If I could've fit 40-watters in there, I would have.