Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Max Bulb Wattage in Enclosed Fixture?

On Feb 4, 8:51*am, John Ross wrote:
In my home bathroom, one of the light fixtures is on the ceiling. One
incandescent bulb screws in and hangs straight down and the cover is a
glass "bowl" that completely encases the bulb and fixture.

I have never seen a wattage rating on any of the bult in fixtures in
this house. I had been using a 100 watt bulb in this for the last few
years. However, I seem to recall someone posted in here that if the
bulb was completely encased, then it should never be more than a 60
watt bulb. Is that true?

I assume this is a heat issue? But is it more of a bulb life issue or
a safety issue?

--
John

One way to "cheat" is to replace the bulb with one of those where the
bulb is a big globe, instead of using a glass globe on the outside.
Then you can use a 100, no problem, and it still looks OK.
As a bonus, those big globe bulbs seem to last forever.