Posted to rec.woodworking
julvr[_2_] julvr[_2_] is offline

Default Project idea: cieling shelf for model train

On Feb 2, 1:01*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
Why put it behind plexiglass, you can't hear it run then.
My friend did a similar thing, but painted scenery on the wall. He left
his open and it sounds great. He put it in the guest bedroom.

This is a point I didn't bring up on the website, but I'm thinking I
should. The plexiglas does a few things. I was actually hoping it
would drown out the track noise, then I could just crank up the sound
effects volume, and voila, less track noise, more realistic noise.
Unfortunately, even with the foam bed underneat the tracks, the track
noise is still quite audable. What the plexiglass does do though is:

1) Prevents a two pound, dicast metal train, traveling eight feet or
so above the ground from falling eight feet should it happen to
derail. (or, if your child happens to be three feet tall, that still
gives the train five feet to gain momentum...)
2) Prevents dust from collecting on the track, reducing maintenance
3) Prevents other objects such as toys or cats from getting on the
track, which might cause the train to derail.
4) The molding holding up the Plexiglas is a good cover for the
ropelight.

Anyone can adapt the plans as they see fit, though I would strongly
suggest the Plexiglas if it's in a child's room, you have expensive
floors, or if you live in an earth-quake prone area.

John