Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks Sparks is offline

Default Earthing, with a generator...

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:

A few more question for you, if you don't mind!...

With an 8KVA generator, what size earth would you require between....
The generator & the earth rod?

Treat as for an earthing conductor. If you're using ordinary G/Y
insulated earth wire and it's buried for part of its length it needs to be
16 mm^2. For bare copper in the ground you'd need 25 mm^2. If it's not
buried it could be 4 mm^2, or even 2.5 if protected in conduit.

I have 10mm between the generator box and the spike, but it is not
protected, but the run is only about 30 cms, along a fence.
Is this OK, or should I put it in some conduit?

Just use 16 insulated and you can't go wrong. Remember that the
connection to the rod needs to be accessible unless welded, soldered or
brazed etc., and labelled "safety electrical connection do not
disconnect".

Do you need to protect the connection form the rain, in somthing like this?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTETC.html
If I got one of these, it would mean the conduit can juct push into it.

The Generator and the consumer unit?

Electrically than can be quite small, because RCD protection is in place.

I have a 100mA RCD in the transfer box (Inside) is this OK?
(There is a thermal type fuse on the generator that pops out if there is a
fault)

What size and type of cable connects the generator to the transfer switch?
The armour of 2-core SWA will be quite OK, assuming it's 6 mm^2 or larger.
For T&E the included CPC will be OK. If you're using singles or
single-sheathed wires then I'd be inclined to make it one size smaller
than the line & neutral. The minimum size for any separate protective
conductor that is not in conduit or trunking is 4 mm^2.

Okay, currently it is 6mm T&E between the CU and a IP66 box on the house
(Run of about 10m)
It then changes to 4mm SWA from this plastic box to one of these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...32slash3P.html
This run is about 4m
This connects to one of these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...32slash3S.html
Mounted on the box the generator lives in.
From the back of this, it terminates in another 32A plug, whch is connected
to a flying length of SWA I have installed on the generator panel (It only
comes with 2 16A sockets as standard for some reason)

I did want 6mm SWA, but the dozey tit who laid the new patio got 4mm, I only
realised after he had finished.
I do have a spare conduit layed in, so I can upgrade this is needed - do I
need to? (The generator is acually only 7.5KVA)
Basically the older red one of these!
http://www.mowers-online.co.uk/itm01414.htm

--
Andy