Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default more threads or bigger diameter?

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
"toolman946 via CraftKB.com" u40139@uwe wrote in message
If the fasteners are torqued tightly enough that load is carried by
friction in the joint rather than shear, the fine thread again has the
advantage because its greater root diameter makes the bolt stronger in
tension, allowing it to apply more force to the joint.

Among your choices, the 1/4-20 is strongest; a 1/4-28 would be
stronger still.

Well said. (I think he stole my answer!!! har har)

Just a thought, we had a sailboat in the So. Pacific with an aluminum mast
and SS fittings. It seems that the combination created a small battery and
we would find a white powder around the joints. Cad plated bolts had less
corrosion and I guess, though we never tried it, titanium would have worked
better?

Always been my understanding that SS and aluminum were a no-no.
Galvanic action hastens corrosion.