Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default How to catch cutoffs

spaco wrote:
I have put a removable chip tray as large as will fit, under the
headstock. It not only catches swarf, but catches most off-cuts, too.
But I like some of the other posts better. The idea of sticking a
small rod in the tailstock, for instance.
Anyway, thank you for asking this question. Until now, I always
thought that looking for off-cuts was just part of lathe work!

Me too. And of course, the smaller the diameter, the faster the spindle
speed, so when you part off that 1/4" OD part you spent the last hour
getting just right, it's flung off at a tangent, and hits the next
surface spinning at 2000 RPM, sending it to parts unknown.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------

Carl Boyd wrote:

All

I just finished making 4 spacers, 3/8" diameter, 3/8" long, with a
.144" axial hole. I didn't see any way to catch them without getting
in a dangerous place. 1st one dropped in the swarf in the chip tray
and I never did find it. So I cleaned out the chip tray and let them
drop down. Only 1 of the 4 was easy to find and reach. There has got
to be a better way, what is it?

Thanks.

Carl Boyd