Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Follow rest

oldjag wrote:
I'm trying to turn down a 3/4" x 26" long 4140 shaft to a diameter
of 0.669" +/- 0.0005" (17mm). Does anyone have a design or source
for a follow rest that attaches to or near an Aloris CXA tool post?
The normal follow rest that came with the lathe would be hopeless due
to the offset relative to the tool point. I'm hoping to get within a
2-4 thou and then grind to the final diameter with a Dumore tool post
grinder. Does this seem like a possible scenario?

Here's one:

http://www.followerrest.com/followersite_001.htm

there is also a commercial product similar except all steel and more
compact, but I can't find it right now.