Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

On 2008-02-01, Jon Elson wrote:

[ ... ]

I have an MBT station at work that has 3 channels. We got it with a
whole pile of tips, handles, etc. I used it for a while for both
soldering and desoldering, but am now doing a lot of extreme
micro-soldering on chips with 0.5mm lead pitch, and we needed a real
micro iron. So, we got a Weller WSL with the WMP micro-pencil, which is
actually a darn good general iron for all electronic work.

Does anyone know what happened to the Edsyn "Loner" iron? That
used to be my favorite, but I don't see them offered any more. Complete
thermal control of the tip in a very lightweight and skinny handle.

I haven't seen any since 2001. We had about 200 of them at
Microdyne. I was 'loaned' to the ME office a couple times to test and
calibrate every iron in the facility. Did you ever use the .015" tip,
with the collet for surface mount work? They were more trouble than
they were worth. the .015" Ersin rework solder was great. When all the
tips were gone, I went back to the smallest standard tip from Plato, and
used a corner to apply heat.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell