Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default Max Bulb Wattage in Enclosed Fixture?

It is a heat/fire/safety issue.

Too much heat and no ventilation can cause a lot of heat build-up above the
fixture. Place insulation above the fixture in the attic and it can get
worse! I've seen old wiring above these fixtures where the insulation has
cracked from the heat and there are bare wires in the box above the fixture.

So potential shock hazard and/or fire hazard. How about using a compact
fluorescent which is more cool and also saves energy?

"John Ross" wrote in message
In my home bathroom, one of the light fixtures is on the ceiling. One
incandescent bulb screws in and hangs straight down and the cover is a
glass "bowl" that completely encases the bulb and fixture.

I have never seen a wattage rating on any of the bult in fixtures in
this house. I had been using a 100 watt bulb in this for the last few
years. However, I seem to recall someone posted in here that if the
bulb was completely encased, then it should never be more than a 60
watt bulb. Is that true?

I assume this is a heat issue? But is it more of a bulb life issue or
a safety issue?

--
John