Posted to alt.home.repair

Default crunchy stuff on ceiling

"Stacia" wrote in message
Under the crunchy stuff is regular old sheetrock. We'd like to just
scrape all the crunchy stuff off and repaint the ceiling, but I don't know
if that's a good idea or not. Are we liable to cause more problems doing
this? Should we have something over the sheetrock or a special kind of
paint, since it's likely to get wet from humidity and/or splashing water
from the shower?

Usually called a popcorn ceiling.

Get a spray bottle of water, put in a few drops of dish detergent and spray
the ceiling. After a few minutes scrape with a 4" or so wide putty knife.
Be gentle so you don't nick the drywall. Wipe with a wet sponge. Move to
another area.

Put down plenty of newspaper or a drop cloth. Dust mask and a hat are a big
help too.