Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Fraser Rob Fraser is offline

Default Square Channel vs C Channel

"anderson2624" wrote in
message m...

My dilema

I did poorly when it came to math... I now regret not trying harder

I need to make a special purpose 25 foot trailer which can not appear
heavy duty.

Typically a 15,000 pound capacity trailer would have 6" C Channel
(frame) with 6" Junior I Beams (cross members) spaced 18" apart.

I am proposing that we use 4" square tubing for the entire frame
structure with cross beams spaced at 12"

Is this frame as strong as "typical" or stronger.

An additional thought: several manufacturers do what they call fold
back trailer tongues... essentially they double the beam from directly
in fron of the tires to the tongue...

If your metalwork can't look heavy-duty- make sure your lawers do. Not
a good thing to whip together without proper engineering. Not bashing you at
all. Honestly- Trailers are so dangerous it's scary seeing a hooptie looling
one near me in the car in traffic. I get WAY in front of him.... I'd rather
take a speeding ticket than a body bag any day.

Rob

Rob