Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default One of two complete machine shop exhibits in the US

On 2008-02-03, axolotl wrote:
F. George McDuffee wrote:
If you are in the Texas panhandle area [e.g. Amarillo] you may
want to stop and see this.

George,

What are the criteria for a "complete" machine shop? The Hagley in
Delaware has a machine shop, The Charles River museum has a shop that
still makes chips, and I understand there is one on Maryland's eastern
shore.

That one (Tuckahoe) is a work in progress. They've collected
quite a few old line-shaft machines (lathes, mills, shapers, planers,
etc) and some of the members of the CAMS (Chesapeake Area Metalworking
Society) club are active in the restoration.

They've collected a bunch of line shaft drive components from an
old shop which was being shut down and stripped, and the museum at
Tuckahoe has built a 40x80' shop building into which they are currently
installing the line shaft hardware.

There is live steam at the site. I'm not sure whether the
eventual plan is to run it from live steam, or from a big old electric
motor -- or perhaps to switch off between those for various things.
Some of the work on refurbishing these tools is being done in home
shops, and some is being done with the tools which they are
refurbishing.

We get progress reports at most of our meetings -- sometimes
accompanied by a book of photos being passed around.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564