Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462002@yahoo.com is offline

Default Toshiba CRT A80ERF031X13 Shorted, appreciate advice

This set came in with bright red screen and retrace lines. The CRT has
a red Cathode to filament short. I disconnected both sides of the
filament circuit from the flyback and ran the tube filament from a DC
supply at 6.0V, and although the picture was watchable it still had
some red smeariness through it. I've advised the customer that we can
try to remove the short but it may open the filament. But the set is
worthless either way. I don't have a rejuvenator but I would like to
give this a shot before pronouncing it DOA. Has anyone had any luck
doing this? Would I have a better chance with say a CR70? Or can I
duplicate what the CR70 would do in this instance? I would hate to
destroy the tube by using a procedure possibly not proper for this
particular problem. With a low ohms meter I can possibly isolate which
side of the filament the short is on if that would help. Thanks for
any advice. Lenny.