Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default I Am Curious

Sun, Feb 3, 2008, 10:05am (EST-3) doth sayeth:
if it was a complicated piece, or one where I needed to document the
construction to someone outside of my shop I'd use CAD. for something
small and straightforward like your banks I'd draw it full size on
paper, measure the changes from the drawing and validate the final
dimensions in the actual material.

LMAO The only way I'd need to document this, or anything, for
someone else is if I was selling plans. And, if I was, I wouldn't use
CAD, I'd just draft it up. For this, and thing a lot more complicated,
I don't draw any of it up, I just go out and start making it. A lot of
it changes as I make it, or I see ways to make it faster, easier, and/or
better, while I'm making it - then I make another. I'll probably go out
in the shop later (got some things I've got to do first, and places to
go), and just start cutting, then gluing. To validate the measurements
I'll just use pieces that I know are already cut to size - for something
else - and use them as checks. No prob.

Before I start anything like this, I think about it. Just close my
eyes, and think about it. First, I think what I want. Then how I can
do it. Then goover it all in my mind, and figure what will work best.
I visualize this stuff - have been told some people can't. When I cut
is usually the time for measurements. Sometimes, like I said, figure
out a better way while I'm working on it. Plans? Plans? Don' need no
steenki' plans. Besides, if I had plans, someone could steal all my
ideas LMAO

JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker

I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.