Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady Gary Brady is offline

Default 48 volt car elect not going to happen

On 2008-02-03, Vaughn Simon wrote:
So, what voltage do the hybrid vehicles run at? I thought is was over
100, possibly 200 volts.

Yes, but that is "apples and oranges". (correct me if I am wrong) In a
hybrid car, most of the electrics are still 12 volt, the high voltage battery
just runs the hybrid part, and those wires are made very obvious.

So, in an electric car, the starter is 12 volts?

We have a Honda Civic Hybrid and, best I can tell, the starter IS 12
volts, and is operated from the 12v battery. The kicker is that engine
always starts with the assist motor, which operates off the 156v
battery. The engine starts silently, I've never heard the starter
operate. I believe that the starter is for emergency use, that is, when
the assist system is not working.

Note that this system is quite a bit different from the Prelude.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX