Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Oil-fired Forced Hot Water System Leaks Water

I would suggest first contacting the service guy who knows the system. It
sounds like the leak is coming from the pressure relief valve and not the
boiler itself. This is a brass valve with a lever on it and usually a pipe
aiming down to the floor. This valve will blow off on high temperature or
pressure. The valve could be bad, the water pressure feeding the boiler
could be to high, or the boiler could be overheating, causing it to blow.

"cbfernald" wrote in message
Hi,

We have an oil furnace that uses forced hot water to heat the home.
The system also provides hot water to the household for showers, etc.
It is a Connecticut home that was built in the early 1960's. I can
barely afford this home so I've been trying to get every last breath
of life out of this furnace.

My problem right now is that the system leaves a large puddle of
water. After I mop of the puddle, another will be in its place 24 or
48 hours later.

Last year a repairman looked at this and told us that the 'water
jacket' is not cracked. The water is resulting from "overflow". He
tweaked something and the problem went away for a long time.

Unfortunately he told my wife how to prevent this from happening in
the future by turning a relief valve, etc. However, my wife was not
able to effectively repeat his instructions to me.

Can someone give me some idea what I might do to stop the "puddles"?

\cbf