Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Recipricating saw or angle grinder to cut cement board?

On Feb 2, 11:09*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I am remodeling this 35 year old house and throughout the house the walls
are made of a double layer of gypsum board as the layer underneath and a
layer of plaster / cement material on top. *Total thickness is about 3/4".

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1010626.jpg

This presents a problem in matching new wall with existing. *If I use the
standard 3/8" or 1/2" wall board it will not match. *I could use them in
areas where I torn down the entire wall from end to end, but in other areas
I have to match the existing thickness. *I guess I have three options:

(1) Use one layer of 3/4" sheetrock and try to match it, or
(2) Use two layers of 3/8" sheetrock, or
(3) Furr out wall a bit to use one layer 3/8" wall board

Not sure which one is the most convenient and economical.

There is no 3/4" sheetrock, only 5/8". I would think using 2 3/8"
sheetrock would be easiest.

Also, electricians, plumbers, window installers have worked on the house and
there are numerous places I need to make a patch but the patching is
impossible since the cuts are done in an irregular fashion. *See pic:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1010625.jpg

I try to cut them on a straight line and it's hopeless. *Can't use a
recipricating saw because of the concrete layer underneath. *Tried a angle
grinder and there were so much dust I could not stand it. *Any advise?

Use a circulating saw and adjust the thickness to 3/4". There will be
dust but it will get the job done quickly. Try wetting down the area a
bit or have a buddy hold a shop vac close to the cutting to minimize
dust.