Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns Carl Byrns is offline

Default 48 volt car elect not going to happen

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 05:26:20 GMT, "Carl Byrns"
wrote:

"Stephen Robinson" wrote in message

That suits me. Under the right conditions, 48 volts is plenty
enough
to kill. Therefore, one inevitable result of 48 volt electrical
systems
in cars will be the occasional dead mechanic.

How will 48v kill people, except for causing a fire, which 12 v is quite
capable of doing that also.

Do you own an arc welder? Look at the open circuit voltage(should be on
the
case somewhere). Now look at all the shock hazard warnings.

If you don't own an arc welder the open circuit voltage is usually around
48
volts and arc voltage is around 25 volts (sound familiar?) and at the
right
amperage that is enough to kill you.

-Carl

The user handholds the live stinger of an arcwelder. BTW, the O.C.V
on many arcwelders is more like 60 to 80 volts.

Not mine ( I checked) 48 and 25 are the numbers. The stinger _is_
insulated, no?

-Carl