Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP* ATP* is offline

Default 48 volt car elect not going to happen

"Stephen Robinson" wrote in message
Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Stephen Robinson" wrote: You need the VOLTAGE to to push the CURRENT
in order to kill
someone(approx 30 mA).The human body is a very high resistance object,
which needs very high voltage to provide that current. 48v ain't gonna
be enough.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is refreshing that SOMEONE seems to know this. However, I have a
couple of reservations about your second sentence. The resistance of the
body is almost entirely in the skin, which is quite high when dry. If,
somehow, you got across some voltage while wet, or perhaps bleeding from
an accident, the resistance could be very much lower. Secondly, the
amount of current that can be lethal depends on the path through the
body. The worst would be across the shoulders, which places the heart in
the circuit. The path from one hand to the other, or from one hand to
some lower part of the body could also be quite dangerous.

Agreed, I still don't think 48 v is going to be very dangerous.

48 volts DC is not very dangerous. But because of the conditions car
mechanics work under, especially backyard mechanics, it could be contribute
to a more dangerous situation. I think we'll see a lot more off the cuff
"arc welding" of Craftsman adjustable wrenches.