Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Hemmings Peter Hemmings is offline

Default Part P - They are coming to do it! (Update)

Just to update and complete the saga!

Below mail left for some further info.

Peter Hemmings wrote:
Owain wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
I eventually finished my En-Suite (about a year!).
Got the BI to check and (as I had already mentioned para 1.26) he
agreed to get the Part P done!
I await the contractor, but while the BI was here, he seemed to
imply the whole house would be checked, can this be correct?
I can understand the need to check its safe, but I only wanted hime
to check my additional wiring.

Unless the additional wiring is on its own circuits back to the CU,
then the existing wiring needs to be compliant to the extent necessary
for the new wiring to comply, if you see what I mean. You can expect
the main bonding to services to be checked, for example.

OK

While he visited he did bring out a meter and checked the earth
impedance (7.5ohm) which he said was good for my installation
(overhead power lines) whi should be less than 33ohms.
I did find out the other day that the power company has put down
earths on every 5th pole and I can have an earth terminal put on my
neutral cable for free, should I do this in future?
I cannot rember the terminology (TT and TMG I think).

TT (earth rod) or PME (Protectivive Multiple Earithing)

OK TA

Owain

Just before Christmas I got my ne-suite approved.

The BI visited but I heard nothing for a couple of months!!
Rang him and he said, "I was just thinking about your installation"!!

He then said it MAY not require testing as it was changes to the
existing wiring!
I did not really agree, but said he was the Boss and if that was his
decision......

He eventually said he thought that if I could fill in parts of the form
on what I had done, then the would probably accept it!

I said I had not tested it and would not sign to say I had.

He sent the form, I wrote what I had done, but not that the whole
installation was to the latest regulations.

I thought this was not sufficient and that he would still insist on
getting it tested.

After more delay, I phoned and asked what was happening, he then said
"I think we have pursued this as far as necessary" and an approval
would be issued.

I think I managed to wear him down, but I never once accepted that I had
to pay for an inspection. I do not know if the council (North Somerset)
now stipulate it as a condition of an application though, but it did
not a year ago, so I did accept I had to pay.
There has also been significant cuts to funding since another party took
over the council last year and I understand that this may have affected
the outcome!

Luckily I had plenty of time to let the saga drag on but appreciate some
readers may not be in my position.

Thanks for all the help in saving me (and others) the costs of
inspections, keep up the good work.

I thought my saga was a long one but my neighbour had a large extension
put up 3 years ago and still has not got it passed. He had a side
window on the first floor approved then after it was completed the BI
said it was too high for a fire escape (new regulations). My neighbour
had to fit a wooden box to stand on, but when the BI did a spot check
my neighbour had put the box in his loft!!

I thought I had troubles!

Regards

Peter H