Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default Car Batteries

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 01:16:15 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:21:28 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

snip

POWER efficiency might be better with a switcher, but by the time you
adress the RF implications your total cost/benefit ratio would kinda
outweigh the benefits.

Surely that will be a small effect compared with the noise from the ignition
and the noise from the vibrator for the HT supply for the radio?

BG)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Not necessarily. The vibrator supply is well filtered and so is the
ignition. And on the vehicles where I was using the regulators the
radios were not vibrator units (they were solid state 12 volt units)
and with proper snubber caps on the coil and good RF Suppression plug
wires, the instrument regulators were the only thing causing problems.
Except for the odd vehicle where we had to put suppression caps across
blower moors and wiper motors.