Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default miller thunderbolt AC/DC-any better on thin stuff?

The DC option will work slightly better than the AC only but not by much.

1/16" is .062" or 16 ga, quite reasonable for a properly set up AC
thunderbolt running 3/32" or 1/16" 6013 rod. Keep in mind that your gap
should not exceed about 1/3 of the the thickness (.020") if you want to
weld straight through without gong into a "fill the gap" mode.

You will find that welding square tubing of .049" and up is not too hard
with either stick or MIG. MIG is nicer in that it does not have the slag
and flux issues of stick. .032" and down is another story. It can be
done with MIG but really thin is TIG territory.

I'd suggest some better fitup, some new 6013 rod in the very small
sizes, and a lot of practice.

dave wrote:
have a straight AC-only thunderbolt now. "not so great" on thin stuff,
like 2x2 by a sixteenth wall sq steel tubing. I get 'burn through' too
often to suit me. would an AC/DC model of the same machine be any better
on THIN stuff?

I realize a mig setup with a gas bottle would 'for sure' be better, but
there's an AC/DC thunderbolt used nearby...

thanks for comments, guys

toolie
:-)

- -
replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address
before you click send. thanks :-)
- -