Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default miller thunderbolt AC/DC-any better on thin stuff?

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:45:36 -0500, dave
wrote:

have a straight AC-only thunderbolt now. "not so great" on thin stuff,
like 2x2 by a sixteenth wall sq steel tubing. I get 'burn through' too
often to suit me. would an AC/DC model of the same machine be any better
on THIN stuff?

I realize a mig setup with a gas bottle would 'for sure' be better, but
there's an AC/DC thunderbolt used nearby...

thanks for comments, guys

toolie
:-)

- -
replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address
before you click send. thanks :-)

DCRP (electrode positive) will work a bit better than AC, but not
nearly as well as a wirefeed. Consider: you would probably be
running .023 or .030 wire but I doubt if you'll find .032 (1/32")
stick electrodes.

1/16" wall sq steel tubing is very easy to weld well with a wirefeed.
That's among the things a small 110-volt wirefeed box does best.