Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 22:37:49 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

My Weller digital tip temperature controlled iron is *great*. You
really want one, whether you know it or not. Huge amounts of power,
delivered exactly as you need it, to heat up a solder joint to the
right temperature.

I have to think it could have been a couple of dollars cheaper, as
I've never moved the temperature off of 750F and don't really care
about the digital temperature display.

But it does what I need it to do, when I need it to do it. What could
be better?

750F?? _ Egad!! Might as well use a roofers torch...

Clue: I leave mine set at 400, unless it's big work and it obviously
needs a bit more - 60/40 solder melts at 350 - 360ish F, some of the
lead-free solders are a bit higher. (The exact numbers are available
in the manufacturer literature.)

The whole idea is to /not/ cook the traces right off the board.

-- Bruce --